.:Info
Nick: Justblair  Info
Age: 44
Location: Glasgow

.:Projects by user

.:Albums

.:
Typhoon Mod MkII "Project Bruce Lee"

Author: Justblair
Used time: 8 hours
Cost: 20GBP
Categories: Cooling

This is my project, Project "Bruce Lee"

The idea behind this project was to produce a modified cooler that beat the Scythe Ninja, a favourite on the Silent PC forums.  In order to do this I started with a TT Typhoon.  In the UK I can pick these up for about 20GBP.  I have two, both modified.  This was the second, the MKii if you like.

To begin with I started with a standard Athlon XPx2 Cooler.  This cost me nothing as it came supplied with a processor being used elsewhere in the house.

alt
Here as you can see it is disassembled and ready for modding.

The fan and the bracket are heading for the parts bin.

alt

Next I marked up the base of the donor ready to be shaped.  This will start to make sense when you see the Typhoon ad the donor combined.  The section on the base marked pipe needs to be removed, This is to clear the heatpipes on the Typhoon when the donor is placed on top of the Typhoon's collecting plate.

You can see in this picture I have started to drill a line out to remove the pipe section.

alt

I used a jigsaw to cut away more of the base.  This was far quicker than drilling.  I used the fins on the other side as a guide.  You can see on the other side the desired result.

alt

You can see through the glare on this picture the heatpipe section cut and drilled.  Ready now to pop it out.  More drilling is required to do this....  .

alt

Here you can see I drilled down from the side, near the fins (Sorry the camera doesn't like closeups).  Then I used a set of precision files to join the drill holes.  Eventually a nugget of Alu fell out and I had clearance for the typhoon pipes.

Next I had to produce a way of mounting the two heatsinks to each other and to the motherboard.  The Typhoon normally uses a H plate to mount to the Mobo.  In my previous mod I had retained this mechanism as you can see in this picture..

alt

This time I didn't want to cut a slot, I decided that the best way forward was to shape the donor heatsink so that it became part of  the mounting mechism.  I removed the fins at each end of the heatsink to create a flat surface that replaced the uprights of the H shaped mount. (Kinda hard to explain, the phots make it clearer)

alt

I drilled holes for the bolts through these flat sections and filed clean the cuts.  A bit of sandpaper was used to clean away as much tool marks as possible.

Next I had to prepare the typhoon.  On the heat plate, there is a copper cover that holds in the heatpipes and also provides a guide for the H bracket.  This had to be removed. 

alt

First there are 4 Jewelers screws that come out easily with a precision screwdriver.  Next the Bracket has to be prised off as it is bonded also.  To do this takes guts.  I first prised open a gap between the bracket and the plate below.  Then out comes a chisel.  Holding it flat against the plate I gave it a gentle tap.  The glue released and hey presto I have a cooler minus bracket.  Sorry i have no photo, Both hands were occupied with the heatsink and chisel.  If  I had a third hand it would have been wiping the sweat off my brow!!

Fortunately the glue holds the heatpipes in place.

alt

Next I applied as much TIM as I could find in my spares bin.  The picture above was taken about half way through.  I used about 5g of the stuff.  I glued in a couple of strips to the open ends of the pipe grooves so I could hold more TIM.

Now it was time to join the donor and the Typhoon.

alt

The fit was good.  All that had to be done now was to bolt the modded typhoon onto the mobo.  The bolts hold the whole assembly together. 

alt

Attached the fan to the mobo fan header then fitted.  You can see also the inline resister that I added to slow the fan down.  The results were as follows..

Initially I tested the cooler outside of the case.  This yeilded the following...

The processor is an Athlon 3000XP it throws out 90w plus of heat at full load

Before...Idle 34c Load 39c

After...Idle 31c Load 36c


The results were a little marginal, around a 3c drop (6f) both under load and idle.  I was a bit disapointed.  However when the mobo was fitted back into the case the work became a lot more worthwhile...

Before

47c idle 59c+ load

After

37c idle 47c load

Massive success when the cooler was tested in its intended destination. The PSU fan is in close proximity and it would appear that

a: The PSU is drawing air through the donor,

b: This design is more useful in higher temps.

The rig it being used in is a low and restricted airflow case. Would be interested if any other typhoon owners would be keen to have a go?

All in all I was very please with my results  I have some extra headroom to play with which means I can slow the 120mm fan down further and make an already quiet PC that little bit quieter still.

If  you were overclocking the mod would perhaps allow a few more Mghz from the processor.




Remove this ad by registering or by logging in.

Remove this ad by registering or by logging in.




Login with your Facebook account to comment:



29.06.2006 20:05 Justblairlol, i think it is the camera, its an early digital offering, fine when taking distance shots, not so good close up. Give me a good slr and I promise to do better... Thanks for the comments though.
29.06.2006 19:08 drakminProject itself is interesting.
29.06.2006 19:08 drakminBtw you could pay more attention to your 'photographing'. Just take a look at 50% of these pics and you know what i mean and it is not the 'fault of the camera'!
21.06.2006 23:51 JapalaGreat to see good results when installed inside a case. Heat pipes rock!!!11 ;)